Dutch Oven Mountain Man Breakfast
PREP: 20 mins
COOK: 1 hr 10 mins
READY IN: 1 hr 30 mins
Original recipe makes 12 servings
- 1 pound mild pork sausage (such as Jimmy Dean®)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (2 pound) package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 (16 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
- Build a campfire and allow the fire to burn until it has accumulated a bed of coals.
- Cook and stir the sausage, onion, and garlic in a 12-inch cast iron Dutch oven with lid, raised over the coals to medium-high heat, until the sausage is no longer pink and the onion is tender. Stir in the red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and hash brown potatoes until evenly mixed. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the hash browns are hot and the peppers are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Pour the beaten eggs evenly over the top of the potatoes, allowing them to sink into the potatoes. Cover the Dutch oven, and place 6 to 9 coals underneath, and 12 to 18 on top. Allow to bake until the eggs are firm, about 40 minutes. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese, cover, and continue cooking until the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.